Kevin McMurtrie

Default Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>>

In article ,
John Durbin wrote:

1991 Acura's don't have "computerized" electrical systems either - other
than the usual engine and/or body CPU, the rest of the thing is typical
12V stuff.

Has the guy mentioned anything about overloading your battery ground
cable yet? If not, he's only seeing half the problem... hard to charge a
battery when half its connection to the vehicle is being severely
overtaxed, a standard problem in Hondas and their kin.

And, you ahve to remember that if the amp pulls 80 amps max, it does not
do that 24/7. Music has a duty cycle that's typically not much higher
than 50%, which would cut the average use in half. On top of that
however, you have to factor in lousy efficiency in the 1/3 to 2/3 power
range for a class AB amp design. But, I've seen good evidence that says
running even 1000 watt AB amps in daily drivers is sustainable on stock
electrical supply. I'd look harder at the negative battery cable first,
then at your habits - are you routinely running the battery flat with
the car off and then asking that small alternator to recharge the
battery while it also tries to run your car and your audio system?

And, your experience with car parts "lifetime warranty" alternators is
very common in my experience - except we usually saw it more with
Kragen, along with the cheesy batteries they sold. A lifetime warranty
isn;t worth the paper it's written in if you have to use it that often.
I'd find a reputable specialty shop that rebuilds alternators and
starters and pay them a little more to have it rebuilt properly next
time it tanks. It is harder to hotrod some imported alternators, but as
an example we have a shop here in San Diego that will return you a
mechanically and electrically upgraded Delco unit that is good for 140
amps in place of the 105 amp stock spec, bearings instead of bushings,
etc. - for about $150. I've run this kind of alternator in older cars
for years with good sized audio systems and had no failures.

JD

Reminds me of the warranty on the no-name RAM at Fry's Electronics.
None of their low-end RAM works. It's junk that has been returned
dozens of times before. Sooner or later the blame shifts to you, or you
are forced to buy more expensive (high margin) RAM. Maybe you'll even
not bother to return the bad RAM. There's money to be made in selling
defective parts with lifetime warranties.