Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST[_2_] ST[_2_] is offline

Default How pure is the signal when it reaches our ears?

On 2013-12-29 19:19:45 +0000, ST said:

=20
That sounds highly dubious at best. One way to tell for sure is to=20
=20
acquire a recent high-grade recording that has been printed to a CD and=

=20
=20
pressed to vinyl in the same form, mic up your listening room with some=

=20
=20
lab-grade mics, and play each of them over the same system. I but you=20
=20
can predict the outcome quite accurately.

[For some unknown reasons, my replies being rejected at the server level. I=
am trying once more ( maybe my fifth or sixth time) to reply. Now I am usi=
ng a new account and hope it reaches the mod.]

That is the kind of evidence I am looking for. Technically, is it possible =
to press exact replica of CD version on vinyl?=20

On Wednesday, January 1, 2014 4:58:25 AM UTC+8, Ed Presson wrote:

This view seems to ignore that the wavy, wobbly, and jittery signal that

arrives the ear from the vinyl will be subject to further wavy, wobbly, =

and

jittery distortion once it leaves the speaker resulting in even more

distortion. Somehow, I doubt that results in a closer representation of

live sound. Perhaps I've misunderstood the OP.

Ed Presson

Yes, the loudspeakers contribute a fair share of distortion but what matte=
rs here is how much of the sound wave is closer to the live performance whe=
n reaching the ears. Too much distortion in vinyl degrades the sound, but h=
ere I am referring to the correct balance. I do agree some digital recordin=
gs are very good. In most cases, I can't make out whether it is vinyl or di=
gital. I do not play vinyl but AB'ing the very best of both formats, I find=
vinyl is musically more pleasant.

I started this thread because all the discussions about vinyl and digital =
is based on the ability of each medium to capture and replay the signal as =
close to the original sound recorded at source but not the actual signal qu=
ality heard which is wobbling and jittery when reaching our ears.

At close range, microphones capture a fraction of the total sound. In live=
music, a bigger slice of the sound of instruments reaches our ears, althou=
gh there too only a fraction of the entire sound reaches the ears, but the =
mix is entirely different compared to what's heard at close range. The di=
fference here is the whole sound loses it original wave shape by interactin=
g with other factors creating it own cocktail of coloration when it arrives=
at our ears.

Maybe, vinyl with his own distortion makes the sound natural when it arriv=
es to our ears. So far, I have not seen actual measurement of live vs digit=
al vs vinyl measured at the ear level which hopefully provides a better und=
erstanding about the real sound quality that matters to us for musical enjo=
yment (not accuracy).