Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default The "audio snob"

On 2013-12-06 02:17:09 +0000, Audio_Empire said:

On 2013-12-02 19:26:26 +0000, said:

This weeks stereophile has this:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/snob-appeal-0

So, to reiterate, if you tend to like to talk about your gear, you're

an "audiophile" (ie snob, gearhead) and if you like to talk about music

then you're a music lover.

Just to be clear, are you saying that those two states of being are mutually

exclusive? Can't one be both a music lover and enjoy the equipment and the

technology behind it?

Why not? I don't care what gets other people off. A gear obsession

isn't really a bad thing in my opinion, but it usually has nothing to

do with the love of music.

I think maybe you don't know what "mutually exclusive" means. If they are mutually exclusive then a passion for one precludes a passion for the other. So it goes beyond having nothing to do with each other.

Making an automobile analogy, there are people who obsess over every

little detail of their classic cars, bring them to shows, and so forth

with the purpose of showing them off. Then there are the people who

actually drive these things up and down the highway. Sometimes they do

both, but you'd be surprised at the number of classic cars that are

trucked into car shows.

There is no doing both if they are mutually exclusive.