Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
message m
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started
because I can't get the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a
tough little unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set
into a thick rugged plastic (polypropylene?) case, that
can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to this one:
http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the
chassis has 6 screws into the case, and there's one on
the back I removed, but I still can't get the chassis
out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking there
might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck,
and I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the
case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plasma Cutter! ;-)

IME diamond saws are a more readily available and economical alternative.
This is one of the major changes in tooling of this millennium - industrial
diamonds are now so inexpensive that tools that effectively employ them are
readily available in most big-box home improvement stores. That all said,
this product seems to be composed of materials that are too soft and too
temperature sensitive for effective cutting by diamond-tipped tools or
plasma cutters.