Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Problem Advents

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 10:49:35 PM UTC-5, paul...@spamain'tkoshe=
r.oink wrote:
Don't know if this qualifies as "high end," but maybe somebody here
might have a usefull suggetion.
=20

First, replace the capacitors. If my memory serves, there is a 32uF and a 6=
uF !!** NON-POLARIZED**!! electrolytic capacitor in place. These are the on=
ly 'wearing' parts in the crossover, but as already noted, 35 years is a go=
od long life for these beasts. Mouser (amongst others) has a good selection=
of NP caps such that you could build up to the value you need. By the way,=
there is no need for boutique caps in this application. Any well-made cap =
will do. I think they are set in 'elephant snot', so you may have to excava=
te a bit to get to them. Mark polarity on the leads as well.=20

Next, as previously noted, the tweeters may be crapping out. You could go t=
o Radio Shack (before they disappear as they just declared bankruptcy) and =
obtain an inexpensive dome-type tweeter to use as a test. If this clarifys =
things, you have your answer. Generally the OEM tweeters survive well, espe=
cially if the speakers are used every day.=20

There are a lot of tips and tricks on the Classic Speaker Pages that may gi=
ve you further advice if neither of the above suggestions work for you.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA