Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] sherlock4167@gmail.com is offline

Default Audiovox Wired FM Modulator Whines

On Wednesday, July 12, 2006 at 10:52:25 AM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
Just installed my second Audiovox FMM100A wired FM modulator. The first
one had a high-frequency "whine" (like a carrier tone, but audible)
even with no audio source feeding the box and with the car engine shut
off. It's like taking a hearing test at the doctor's office with very
high-pitched tones. Audiovox tech support said that shouldn't happen
(the most dangerous words in technology: "it *should* work" followed
closely by "that shouldn't happen") and advised me to return it. The
second unit performs identically. It's not that I'm overly sensitive to
high freqs; the rest of my family hears it, too.

I've tried relocating the ground, feeding power from a separate
battery, wrapping the loose wires separately, enclosing the whole
package in foil and connecting that to ground with a capacitor to
intercept stray RF, etc.

The whine isn't as audible while driving, but it's loud enough to be
annoying even with the car radio treble turned down a bit. Otherwise it
works like a charm: when switched on, it routes the audio through the
car speakers on one of two FM frequencies even if there's a strong
station on that freq.

Anyone else have this problem? And/or a fix?

I installed the Audiovox FM modulator on my Range Rover and it works correctly intermittently. The fader only sounds out of my driver side speakers despite the fact that the fader is in the middle balance. We have tried changing the RCA cable the problem persists. I tested it with 2 different Iphones and my Ipod and problem persists. I tried changing the frequency from 89.1 to 88.7mhz tyhat did not work either. Anyopne has any suggestions?? Lou