Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Sony CDP-C705 5 Disc Carousel Misbehavior

On Sat, 3 May 2014, wrote:

Trevor:

Guess that's what I'll have to do. On a side note - it is very interesting that CDs I have played in this component come out dustier than when they were inserted(!)

What is the safest cleaning item to contact a laser lens with - least
likely to move/misalign it?

I've just used q-tips, and not fussed overly about being really gentle.

I found a blu-ray player last year lying on the sidewalk, and when I
finally got a disc to play in it, it didn't even recognize the disk. It
played DVDs fine, but then a blu-ray player has two lasers and lenses, one
for each type.

Once I cleaned the lens with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, the blu-ray disk
was playable.

YOu might want to read the faqs from sci.electronics.repair, at
http://repairfaq.org

There's a whole one about CD players, and another about "optical disk
players".

Michael