chung

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

Mkuller wrote:
"Lawrence Leung" wrote
Tell me why can CD take over the dominance place of LP 20 years ago? Is
it because CD is so much better than LP? No! Everything is marketing my
friends, and if you can't accept it, I'm afraid you will be very
disappointed!

"Charles Tomaras" wrote:
So you are saying that you don't think CD won the battle over LP because of
no flipping, no scratches, reduced "hiss", no wear, wider frequency
response, ability to have left and right panned low end, ability to play in
cars and on portables, and many other improvements and conveniences? You
are saying it was marketing? Once the word got out about how absolutely
superior CD's were in just about every meaningful way to consumers they
preferred it over the incredible limitations of vinyl.

Yes, they were more convenient to consumers but the audiophiles complained they
sounded inferior to LPs (on high quality turntables - many still claim they do
to this day).

Please rephrase that: "a subset of audiophiles complained..."

Many audiophiles I knew of were estatic over the new format, back in 1983.

The mass consumers couldn't hear the differences (they sounded
better than cassettes in their carsand in their Walkmen) so they didn't care.

Everyone could hear the difference between CD's and vinyl.

Then there was the $4 or $5 price increase of CDs over LPs and the stores
phased LPs out because the CDs were more profitable and took up less space.

No, it was consumers wanting to buy CD's that phased the LP's out.

Regards,
Mike