Harry Lavo

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

"Codifus" wrote in message
Given that surround sound is usually associated with Dolby surround or
DTSand those formats do an MP3 type lossy compression to the audio
signal, does it really matter that SACD provides better quality of an
inferior medium? DVD-A seems to concentrate on producing the best audio
where it counts; stereo. But then if 192/24 PCM is unobtainable, then I
guess DVD-A is done. It's offering no advantage compared to SACD, and
it's already losing the battle.

CD

I try to keep an open mind on DVD-A (I own eight at this point) and
therefore monitor (and sometimes participate in) the DVD-A forum on
AudioAsylum. The lack of 192/24 stereo on most DVD-A's is one of their
chief gripes (and these are DVD-A afficionados). In fact, apparently a good
many DVD-A's don't even include a stereo mix, but instead rely on an
automatic mix-down from multichannel by the DVD-A machine itself, which
since there are no 'standards' for multichannel mixes I gather is a pretty
hit-or-miss proposition.

snip, not relevant