Kalman Rubinson

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

Why bother dealing with this nonsense! There's no scientific evidence
for anything he purports to prove.

Kal

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:02:33 GMT, (Farrell8882)
wrote:

I found this article on another newsgroup:

http://www.diamondcenter.net/digitalstress.html

Here are (to me) the most significant paragraphs:

"With the advent of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) recording, it is now
possible to conclude that the negative effects I have stated above are due not
to the digital process per se but to the mode of achieving it, Pulse Code
Modulation (PCM). For DSD recordings do not have these negative effects.

"Although it was suggested, unfortunately the record industry did not
make analog backups of their digital (PCM) sessions. So now there is a (very
expensive) twenty year hiatus. Hence some SACDs (the CD format for DSD) are
being released which have gone through the PCM process and are as negative as
regular CDs."

I have two questions:

I wonder whether it is possible to find pure DSD recordings, and how to
recognize them.

Also, are DSD CDs -- as opposed to DSD SACDs -- as likely to be free of the
negative artifacts Diamond cites?

Thanks.