S888Wheel

Default Why DBTs in audio do not deliver

I said

Even if you want to limit it to music reproduction one can find numerous
DVDs
with video to go with the audio. Seeing the performance will affect our
perception of music.

Steven said

Indeed. It will tend to introduce error into our perceptions of audible
difference. This is well-known.

I said

Really? Seeing the performance will introduce error into our perceptions of
audible idfference?

Steven said

Yes, if the performance is being compared to another one.

How do you know? What do you base this claim on?

I said

I'd like to see something that supports this assertion.

Steven said

You accept the claim as true for component comparisons, yes?
Why not for performance comparisons, then?

This makes no sense in the context of my claim that seeing a performance while
hearing it matters in our perception of the music. If you have some knowledge
that watching playback of the permormance while comparing the sound of that
same playback obscures our ability to hear differences in components you are
just speculating. Hey maybe it's true but without a test of some sort you are
just speculating.

Steven said

Please read what I wrote again, carefully. I am referring to
determinination of audible *difference*. The principle is generally
true -- it applies whenever sounds are
compared.

Yeah, I thought it was an odd reply to my post regarding the effects of seeing
music performed while hearing it performed. But if you think seeing the
performance while hearing the performance during playback dulls our ability to
hear differences you might want to test that idea before claiming it is true.

Steven said

In addition to *difference, sighted bias can also influence
which performance/component/treatment 'sounds better', as you
well know. This can occur even when there
is no objective reason to believe one would be 'better'
than the other.

OK we are talking apples and oranges. I'm not talking about seeing the
equipment perform. I am talking about seeing the musicians perform, be it live
or playback.

Steven said

I could take two copies the same LP from the
same pressing run, slap an "MFSL" label on one and a generic
label on the other -- wanna bet which one the 'vinylphile'
would claim sounds better in a sighted comparison?

You are welcome to try that with me. I will take your bet and your money. Keep
in mind though that different records from the same stampers can and often will
sound slightly to significantly different depending on how many pressings come
from those stampers.