Graham Hinton

Default Amplifier question - very basic

In article ,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

When you bridge an amp, you are putting both sides of the amp in series,
so they are producing twice the voltage.

I think I know what you meant to say, but it didn't come out right.

Try this:

Normally an amp drives between its output and ground (the black terminal).
If the power rail are +/- V volts the maximum voltage across the speaker is
V volts.
In bridge mode the inputs of both amp channels are connected together *but
one is inverted* so when one output is +V the other is -V and the voltage
between the two red terminals is 2V.
Doubling the voltage quadruples the power = V^2/R.