Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default 4 mics compared, Schoeps, Shure, and CAD

Laurence Payne wrote:

OK. We've got a pretty good consensus on this.

Now my follow-on question. Why vocal booths?

I hate them. That's why not. g

Why is because in some situations it's quicker, cheaper, and more
amortization effective to stick a booth in a room that otherwise would
require very expensive work to achieve anything like comparable
isolation. If one's lease becomes untenable for the usual reasons of
real estate value appreciation one can reasonably relocate the booth
versus having to abandon costly leasehold improvements.

There is a huge and obvious downside, and that is the sound inside the
booth. It's too small to be an anechoic chamber, yet that is almost what
we are asking of it.

"Wow, that vocal sounds a bit claustrophobic..." "Yeah, well..."

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar