Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Webb[_2_] Richard Webb[_2_] is offline

Default 4 mics compared, Schoeps, Shure, and CAD

On Sun 2037-Jul-05 06:04, Laurence Payne writes:
If you stay tight with a good mic, you can dismiss a lot of room
interaction.

A lot. But can you get it down to trivial?
Not without getting so close to the instrument that you aren't hearing
it in what I consider a natural manner.

Meaning that the instrument sounds better with some room sound? But
if we can get the BAD room sound down to a trivial level, we have
pretty good ways of adding better room sound.

T'ain't all about the "room" sound though. Do you listen to an acoustic guitar with your head right up next to it? The
electronic box may be able to deliver "better" room sound,
but the natural tone of the instrument cannot always be had
when close micing. So, even with artificial room in a box
electronics bathrooms still suck for recording, and a poor
room is just a poor room, no matter what you do with it.

HOw to make a silk purse from a sow's ear: Start with a
silk sow.

There's only so much you can do with technology. A
recording of an instrument in a small room may have to do,
and the engineer massages it later, adding an artificial
room in a box, but the recording still won't sound natural.
But, if it serves the song as it should, go for it g.

Regards,
Richard