James Lehman

It is my understanding that Redbook Audio is a digital audio data storage
system that does not have the likes of a file system, like you would find on
a data CD. It is more like the grooves on an old LP. The original idea of a
CD audio player was a digital extension of the idea of the LP. It spins.
It's round. It has a hole in the middle. The tracks on a disk need to be
accessible while the disk is spinning and in any rotation so you can cue a
track from somewhere near the beginning, not necessarily the exact same
sample every time; much like dropping the needle in the darker grooves on an
LP. Because there is no file system, it takes some special care to extract
the audio as a pure digital stream.

~James. )

wrote in message
oups.com...
While I wasn't looking, someone slipped a new term into the hifi lingo
- "rip" as in copying something from some source media.

Exactly what does it mean, what media is referenced and what is its
history?

Thanx,

ESTG/