David Satz

Default Need specs on Gefell/Neumann/RFT Capsules, Microphoneschematics and small DIY-solutions

Audio Ray wrote:

Let me know your comments, tips and contributions.....

http://www15.brinkster.com/audioray/

I agree strongly with Peter Andersson's comments. The pop-up windows are
a nuisance, and the one on exit (about bookmarking) is truly offensive.
And most of your "content" is merely a collection of pages from other
well-known Web sites, which you bring up in a frame.

You seem to be concerned primarily with keeping the user on your site
whether the user prefers that or not. This makes people uncomfortable,
because all you are doing is to interfere with their normal browsing.
Generally it is better to offer a simple hypertext link to a page or
document that you consider interesting. Then the user can download the
document or open it in a window--even if that means leaving your site.

As an example, you have a pop-up window which mentions some tubes used in
some classic condenser microphones. It contains a link for viewing a PDF
of Telefunken's data sheet on the AC 701. But then this document comes
up in a tiny window which you create and which cannot be resized by the
user, so it is nearly impossible to read anything.

The small amount of original material which I could find on your site
was either out of date (e.g. instructions on setting up a Windows computer
to be a hard disk recorder--which, by the way, is also very hard to read
because of its centered text alignment) or incorrect (e.g. the Neumann
U 87 does not have an AC 701 tube or indeed any other tube--maybe you
were thinking of the M 269?).

I am sorry to say this because I imagine that you put a lot of work into
making your Web site--but I can't see any real purpose to it, other than
for you to have a Web site on this topic.