Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Home Studio Sound treatment/Sound Proofing Question

In article , Powell wrote:
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote

Have a look at my Acoustics FAQ for the right way to do this:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Are you aware of any books or links which describe the
specific methodology used to measure actual room
resonances for the Dolby studio facility certification?

The information is public. You could contact the Production
Services Group in Wootton Bassett and you should be able to get a
manual and a fancy calculator for figuring room modes.

Almost certainly they have isolation and noise floor standards and
some basic rough room mode numbers. Remember, of course, that these
are intended for soundstages and mixing theatres, and the required
acoustics are very, very different than for music recording or for
performance halls. So I would _bet_ that they would have a fairly narrow
range of allowable RT60s for a soundstage, for instance, and I'd bet
those numbers are way too short for a music studio.

Not available in the US, of course.