Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Home Studio Sound treatment/Sound Proofing Question

"GarageGuitar" wrote in message

HI everyone.

My home studio is almost idiotically small (approx 7ft x
8ft x 7.5ft LxWxH), but provides a dedicated space for a
desk (with eqpt rack, nearfield monitors, computer
monitor, etc), a couple of mic stands and a stool to sit
on while I play mainly acoustic guitar and record vocals.

Currently the "sound treatment" consists of wall to wall
carpet (no underpad)

Padded carpet usually sounds a little bit better.

and ten 12"x 48" panels of 3/4"
styrofoam onto which I've glued panels of roughly 1-1/2"
thick convoluted foam mattress pad (hi- tech, eh?).

You ought to find your nearest professional insulation contractor and pick
up a 6-pack of Dow Corning 703 or its equivalent. It comes as 2' x 4' x 2"
blankets. Cut each one in half lengthwise and add it to the sandwich, above.

However, you might want to get a 12 pack, and disperse the other 7 pieces on
walls around your little room.

Use it in separated areas, don't butt the pieces together.