Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default light fader recommendations for studio rooms?

Dude Japan wrote:
I am aware that some light faders (rayostats?) give off a buzzing
noise. There is one in my parents house, for example, that bugs the
dickens outta' me. Can someone recommend a specific light dimmer for
the track lighting that I am putting in my studio room?

Just don't do it.

If you absolutely HAVE to do it, spend the money and get an autotransformer
dimmer (a "Variac"). Expect to spend a _lot_ more than for those crappy
consumer SCR dimmers, and a lot more for the box it'll have to go into.

There are some industrial SCR dimmers that claim to be "filtered" but they
are still major RFI sources. They are better than the Wal-Mart crap but
you still don't want them anywhere near your studio.

One alternative is to use a switchbox that throws various numbers of lights
in series with one another. You only get one or two discrete dimming
levels, but there are zero RFI issues, and it's a lot cheaper than a
variac.