John Durbin

Default Directed Amplifiers

Your explanation of the material changes that caused the transistor
failures jibes with what I've been told, but my point that the current
method works better still stands. It is far less subject to material
spec differences and more tolerant of assembly torque variances.

As to the failure rate issue, I would say that figures don't lie but
liars can figure - not casting any aspersions your way but frankly
there's been so much BS clouding this brand starting from the Phaze
ownership days that I would question ANY data that was put in front of
me from that period. Certainly nobody in the operation was looking at
accurate numbers at the business end... and there's plenty of ways to
cook defect rates too. However, I have no argument with your contention
that the product quality dropped off from what it had been. We spent a
fair amount of time debugging stuff in 2002 just for that reason. My
comments about the lack of quality process reflected what we found at
ADST in late 2001, also from some things we saw when we looked at an
acquisition in 99? whenever it was the Phaze bubble burst.

Naming James as somehow responsible for moving production offshore is
pretty weak - I am sure executive management and a need to improve
efficiency and cost-down product was the real driver of that. The fact
that he's still getting that job done and doing it damn well while
constantly improving the reliability and performance of the product
speaks to which of the group had better comon sense - there's very
little glory to be had as the owner of a defunct process that
disappeared because it cost too much for the company to stay in business.

JD

John Andreen wrote:

John you are mostly correct about your assertion below. You are however
misinformed about the clamping method that PPI had been using since just
about day one of their existence. That method only failed on the PCX line
of amplifiers that were produced at ADST Inc. Up until that time, the
material callout for the steel bottom/hang-off clamp was specified as an
ASTM grade that was meant to have a "springy" characteristic ( read carbon
content) and holes were used to hold the clamping screws in place. When
the ME at ADST ( his name was Chris C ) and the then VP of Engineering
Enrique S, came up with an idea of using an extruded groove to capture the
clamping screws instead, all clamping ability was lost. Now, ignoring
studies and objections to the contrary, this method was put into
production. Any MORON can grasp the fact that a round hole ( of proper
diameter )can handle much more shear stress than a groove of similar
proportions. Roughly 6 times more to be exact. That is where the failure
of the original clamping method occurred. The original PPI clamping was
extremely successful and would still work today if properly implimented.

The Topology lineage you speak of only begins at the ART series. Much was
changed between the AM series and the ART series. If you were to review
the schematics, you would know that. You could also contact Bruce
McMillan(sp?) at JL AUDIO for a short discourse on the differences, though
he may not wish to talk with the enemy.

Failure rates in the field were never over 1-2% at the original PPI. Gee, I
guess they did follow some form of quality control standards.
Failure rates when James T took the production of the PPI PCB's offshore
were right around 4%. A 100% increase in field failure.
Failure rates on the PCX line produced at ADST were as high as 47%, almost 1
in 2. Bad by any stretch of the imagination.

It is easy to be able to brag about being able to better your quality
control when you reference the ADST/PPI PCX series. Can you state and
prove that your failure rates now are at or below 1-2%? Don't believe me,
ask Roger.

John Andreen

John Durbin wrote:

JA,

Thanks for the history update.

However, I would love to hear your explanation of how PPI product has
somehow deteriorated since we made the ADST acquisition.

Here are some facts:

* The PCB assembly was already being imported
* The final assembly was conducted under no recognized global or US
quality system standard
* The company was chronically short on cash and forced to make
decisions that constantly affected product quality
* Return rates on product were becoming a growing problem
* Precision Power had themselves already gone offshore to bring in a
lower end amp line, as well as ALL of their speakers, and subs
* Since the acquisition, Directed has done the following:
o Eliminated a slew of problems in the original PCX design,
including failure to make power, higher than speced THD+N,
etc. etc. None of the original topology was altered in the
process, and that topology dates back to Art series or
before. PowerClass amps were not much more than Art series
circuits with an added crossover and new mechanical design.
o Replaced the problematic transistor clamping method that PPI
had used for years with one that actually prevents
transistors from overheating regularly
o Spent the better part of 2002 buying back ADST-built
defectives from dealers so they'd continue to support the
brand - and a bunch of consumers too
o Moved production to ISO9000 certified facilities
o Brought R&D and development under our own ISO9000 and QS9000
quality system guidelines
o Ditched the crappy C1/C2 subs and replaced them with
considerably higher performance, higher quality PowerClass
line
o Added the US designed and engineered DCX subs and neo
component/coax series - getting PPI back into the premium
sub/speaker business for the first time since the Phaze
speakers and flat piston Pro subs went away.

If you stop by our booth at CES in January, you can get a look at the
next phase of the revival of this fine brand - a completely new amp
family. You'll also see a couple of new processors, a new line of
PowerClass speakers, and while you're there, say hello to Roger Paeselt,
former VP Sales for PPI - he's stayed with us through the transition and
will be the first to tell you that things have gotten a LOT better.

I'm old myself - been kicking around 12V since 1977 - and I love old
school as much as the next guy. But anyone that tells you the old stuff
was better in this case hasn't got a freaking clue.

Also, you really need to get over the country of origin hang-up - the
names of companies much bigger and better known in audio than us are
everywhere in Asia these days... consumer electronics is a global
business, and consumers always want more for less. And, something that
people rarely understand but anyone that has ever been a product manager
in this business learned in the last few years: the factories in Asia
will jump through hoops to produce your latest design, and make it work
right. The factories in the US take 2-3 times as long, aren't interested
in tooling new parts to meet your spec, and frankly don't compete on
price, delivery, or any of the critical areas for being an OEM.

John Durbin

Audio Product Category Manager
Directed Electronics Inc.
aka JD

John Andreen wrote:

Captain Howdy YOU ARE ON CRACK

You are completely remiss in your assertions. I have worked with and for
PPI for most of its real existance in car audio. I can unequivocably tell
you that PPI never bought ORION Heatsinks and repainted them. Back then,
almost all amplifiers had the same look. Square, with fins. They may be
similar, but they were not the same.

Regarding the Phaze Audio claim, you are once again incorrect. The
original owners of PPI ( a brother and sister ) sold to a gentleman from
Indiana who
was also the owner of Phaze Audio LLC. The selling price was over double
the then current value of PPI.

Phaze Audio LLC made a few thousand amplifiers on their own prior to
buying
PPI in 1998. They dropped their current product lines and continued with
the PPI products as they were better designed, manufacturing friendly and
had decent profit margins. You got it backwards, Phaze Audio LLC did
business under the PPI brand names. Their own products fell by the
wayside. Poor management and unproven embezzlement led to the demise of
Phaze Audio LLC DBA PPI.

ADST purchased the remaining assets and brand name of PPI. Phaze Audio
went
the way of the Dodo. The PPI product lines under ADST management made up
almost 75% of ADST sales. But, once again upper management would not
listen to reason and spent far too much time, effort and monies on trying
to make their money losing brands profitable again. Even the PPI brands
suffered when really poor Engineering decisions were made by NON-Engineers
and managers who had inflated ego's and no common sense. The owner of
ADST
trusted these people and believed their lies and half truths. Most of
these trusted few resigned or were fired when it was discovered that they
had created a house of cards. By that time it was too late and ADST Inc
was sold to DEI. DEI still makes the PPI line of Amplifiers and some
Signal processors, but IMHO they cannot hold a candle to the originals.
They are now made overseas by a company that makes many brands of
amplifiers for many other companies. If you want an inkling as to the
popularity of the new PPI lines, visit Ebay and check out just how many
people are bidding on the PCX series amplifiers offered there. Then,
check out the bidding on the older models such as the Art Series and the M
an AM
series. QED

BTW there was only one "ART" series. Those are the PPI amplifiers whose
names begin with "A". The "M" series was PPI first line of amplifiers
using MOSFETS in their power supply. The "AM" series was an improved
version of the "M" series. The White w/Graphics and Black w/graphics were
simply mid-design cycle changes to promote sales, much like the PPI
Powerclass line and the subsequent chrome version of the same.

p.s If you look closely on an ART series amplifier, you will find the
initials CHY. The artist name is/was Carolyn Hall Young.

John Andreen

Captain Howdy wrote:

Back in those days, Orion ampifier heatsinks were hand crafted, in their
Tempe AZ factory. The Orion GX line was out way before the PPI Art Series
line. The PPI Art Series line came out around the same time as the Orion
SX line of amplifiers. I'm not saying that PPI stole anything. What I am
saying is that they bough the GX line from Orion and repained them and
sold them as their early Art Series line. A short time after the Art
Series came out PPI changed the case to a finless rounded end heatsink
like the one found on the A100 and A200 amplifier. The next time that you
come across a PPI 2075AM, 4200AM or 2150M, take a close look and you'll
see what I mean.

Here is another inferesting fact that many people are unaware of, PPI
used to sell gear under the Phaze Audio name.

In article xcyzb.416545$Fm2.424716@attbi_s04, "Paul Vina"
wrote:

SO? Lots of companies get parts from the same vendors. And how do you
know it was PPI that stole anyone's design (assuming there was any
copying in the first place)?

Paul Vina