Stephen Narayan

Default Directed Amplifiers

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 07:38:00 GMT, John Durbin
wrote:

The GX heat sink was not the same as the PPI model you're talking about.
It was wider, and flatter. They did at some point make Orion amps that
were taller, not as wide, and longer - The Beast for example - but still
not the same metal. Again, at the time you're talking, these were two
separate companies. PPI did do some contract manufacturing for a couple
of companies - Crutchfield and Phillips USA as I recall - but they never
built for Orion. In fact, if you know any of the people from either
organization, I think they'd have died before they shared any designs or
parts.

yeah they did contract work. I had a couple Phillips Sound Labs amps
from them at one time....thye also made some crossover models for them
as well....

As to the RCA's and the socket-head Allen bolts, give me a break
already... if the most you can say to prove your point is that they
bought from the same parts supplier. or picked the same connector out of
a catalog, you're grasping at straws. I can buy the same bolts today -
in fact, I have a few boxes sitting in my garage - from local bolt
suppliers like Ababa. They were used by virtually everybody that was
bolting products like this together in the US back then. My old Zapco's
use them and so did Audiomobile.

As to the DIN plug, the commonality is that both companies have a common
ancestry dating back to Jim Fosgate, and some people that learned a lot
about amps from him in the early days of the Phoenix car audio
explosion. He had phantom power DIN cable designs to drive outboard
processors as early as 1977 - I had two of them in my VW Rabbit at the
time. So yes, both companies used phantom power for their processors for
several years. Big whoop...

JD

Captain Howdy wrote:

In article eZnzb.411468$Fm2.417582@attbi_s04, "Paul Vina"
wrote:

I'm I on crack?, no. Very good and thank for the history lession. Take a good
look, and I mean I good look at the PPi-2150M and Orion GX line of
amplifiers. The heatsinks are the same, the end plates and even the screws are
the same, further more the The RCA connectors are the same. Hey is that a DIN
plug on the side of the PPi-2150M for a bridging module, you know like the one
on the Orion Gx line?

Are you on crack? PPI and Orion were two separate companies until ADST
bought them both. Even then the designs were still separate.

Paul Vina

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
. ..

You're right. I dont see nothing wrong with a little bit of the retro

look.You

thought that I would point that out. Just like back in the day When PPI
repainted Orion GX amplifiers and sold them as the PPI art searies, such

as

the PPi-2150M

In article dcdzb.287021$ao4.1001827@attbi_s51, "Paul Vina"
wrote:

Maybe like old Alpines. They look nothing like the current Alpines. Not
that there's anything wrong with that. A bunch of amps looked just like
that in the early and mid 90's.

Paul Vina

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
. ..

I just seen the 2003 Directed amplifiers at their website. I hate to

say

it,

but they look like Alpine V12 knock-offs.

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection |
No System.....yup that's right.
Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html