John Durbin

Default Directed Amplifiers

thanks for filling in the detail on that, Scott - you have a clearer
picture of that part of the PPI chronology than I do.

JD

Scott Gardner wrote:

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:06:14 GMT, (Captain Howdy) wrote:

John here's a pic of the 2150M

Here's a pic of the Art Series

Are you sure the 2150M isn't an Art model?

Well, it has the same type of graphics as the later "Art" series. I
had a PPI 4100AM that looked just like it. It's just a semantic issue
- I don't think they weren't officially called the "Art Series" by PPI
until the A100, A200 etcetera came out, but I remember calling my
4100AM an "Art Series" at the time, so I think the name was around
informally before PPI actually began to use it as a series name.
In the PPI lineage, the "M" series begat the "AM" series,
begat the "Art" series, begat the "PC" begat the "PCX". So, while you
could buy a 4100AM with the white paint and multi-colour silkscreened
graphics in 1991 (like I did), you couldn't buy an official "Art
Series" PPI amp until 1993, when the equivalent to the 4100AM would
have been called the A204.

Here's a pic of a Orion GX amplifier, what does that remind you of?

It looks similar, but the heatsink fins are actually shaped
differently. All they have in common is the "fins on top, fins on
bottom, finless strip down the middle" design, and that was a fairly
common scheme at the time.

Here's an auction with a good end-view of a PPI 2075 (same chassis
style as the 2150M and 4100AM)

http://tinyurl.com/y0z6

Look at the seven fins above the "finless strip" and the seven
fins below. They're all the same height, and they're all parallel,
both lengthwise and widthwise. You could lay a straightedge across
the amp and it would touch all fourteen of those fins at the same
time.

This auction has a good end-view of an Orion GX:

http://tinyurl.com/y0yw

See how the fins aren't the same height? They're shorter next to the
"finless strip" and get taller as they proceed to the edge of the amp.

So yes, the older "M" and "AM" amps did look superficially similar to
the Orion GX and HCCA amps, but they weren't the same heatsinks.

Scot Gardner

In article , John Durbin
wrote:

dude, where do you get this stuff?!! Anyone who has ever had their hands
on them knows that Art Series had absolutely nothing in common with
Orion. The two were different companies up until the very late 90's.
Also, the 2150M isn't an Art model. Orion never made an amp with no
fins, ever.

JD
I'm not the 100% expert on that period of the two company's histories
mind you but everything you've written so far that has "Orion" or "PPI"
in it has been totally boofoo