Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Better bandwidth than USB-2?

On 27/10/2019 1:01 pm, Tobiah wrote:
I have a PreSonus Studio 1810.Â* For $100 more, I
could have it's descendant, the 1810c, which, apart
from a couple of tweaks to the software, seems only
to sport the new USB type.

In this case, I assume that the underlying communication
with the computer is the same, only over a USB-C connection.
In other words, would it be safe to say that latency would
be the same on either unit, even though USB 3.0 or C is theoretically
capable of greater throughput which should result in less usable
latency?Â* I mean, did they just put a different plug on the same unit?

And why the apparent lack of USB3.0 devices?Â* Wouldn't it be
a dream to have the extra bandwidth?Â* I look at the prices
once in a while, and it seems as though anything beyond USB2.0,
(Thunderbolt, PCI etc.) runs into the stratosphere pricewise.

So for the hobby user, should I be content with USB2.0 for now or
are there other budget avenues to choose regarding increased throughput?

Thanks,

Tobiah

Isn't USB-C simply the connector ? Or does USB3 stipulate that is
carries USB3 signals ?

geoff