Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Questions

On 24/01/2015 10:26 PM, geoff wrote:
On 24/01/2015 4:33 p.m., JackA wrote:
Computers were too slow to be of aid with mastering back in the later
'80's. Agree?

No. The A-D and D-A converters, and the bit-depths achievable in those
days was a limiting factor.

Your feelings?

Vinyl v. CD has little to do with sound quality. More 'nostalgia. Record
vinyl critcally to CD, and the CD playback will sound pretty much
identical to the vinyl.

"pretty much"? Hell it's absolutely trivial these days to send a vinyl
record output through a A-D/D-A process such that the vinyl fan boys
can't pick which is which, I know I've done it many times! ;-)

Many of the more sensible ones now acknowledge that and the debate has
moved on to real difference in commercial copies, the mastering differences.

Trevor.