Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

On 3/9/2014 6:45 AM, wrote:

Craftsmanship?? Since when is destroying the music craftsmenship?

To some, making it louder and drawing more attention to it is a craft.
There are many ways to do this, clipping is one. You wouldn't want to
clip a chamber music ensemble to make it louder, but it's effective on a
garage band where things are distorted on purpose as part of the sound.

As an engineer I can do no harm to my client's music - whether
reproduced live or in recorded form - even if they tell me to do it
or bribe me.

If you're working on music for which clipping is clearly inappropriate,
then by all means, don't do it. You probably wouldn't even be asked to
do so. On the other hand, if you're working on music where distortion is
an integral part of the sound, you aren't likely to be harming it by
driving something in the mastering signal path into clipping. It's not
life-threatening.

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com