Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

On 3/8/2014 2:36 AM, wrote:
I've always been under the impression that avoiding clipping is a
basic tenet of digital audio. Looking at this mastering tutorial, if
I understand what this guy is saying, he deliberately introduces a
limited amount of clipping - 2:30 "I wanted to get a little bit of
clipping on the A to D".

It's one of the techniques used in order to make an audio clip stand out
in the crowd by appearing to be louder. Everybody says they don't want
distortion, but everybody wants their audio to sound louder than
everybody else.

Use it or not as you see fit. Got something that needs to attract
people? Make it louder. Got people interested in your work already? Make
it sound better (not louder).

--
For a good time, visit
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com