Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Ground Loop

My Panasonic TV (TH-50PH9UK) is a video monitor only; all audio is routed through my NAD preamp and amp. Last week, a hum started without having made any changes to any systems. Today, I tried unsuccessfully to eliminated it by plugging the TV into the same power strip that the preamp and amp are plugged into. Lifting the TV's ground eliminated the hum.

Does this suggest that a capacitor shorted last week in the amp, preamp, or TV?

As a practical matter, have I created an unsafe or inappropriate condition by lifting the TV's ground pin?