Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Vintage speaker repair advice wanted...

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Trevor wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Trevor wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message

Yep, I've made a few boxes (and have the software to prove it -
these days) so know all about TS params. However, as I alluded to
in my other post - I've seen "10 inch" drivers (for instance) with
cones that vary by around two inches in diameter. As most
speaker-buyers will never need to know what size a replacement
driver will need to be it could potentially be very misleading.

I mean, if your average punter is looking to buy speakers and it's
a toss-up between two different brands, both 3-way with a "10 inch"
woofer (which vary by the afore-mentioned 2" or thereabouts) said
punter might not know that in fact one woofer has 30% more cone
area than the other. After all they're both 10" right?

Frankly it's irrelevant. You can buy a box with a 10" driver for
$100 or one with an 8" driver for $10,000. No-one in their right
mind would think the $100 box is better because it has a bigger
driver.

So you'd be happy to buy cars defined by their wheel base (rather
than what that wheel base contains) then huh?

How the hell did you get that? Pretty much the opposite of what I
just said above!
Just like speakers, car quality/performance/price has *NO* direct
relationship with size. However a 6'6" person might well take into
consideration leg room, and two identical wheelbase cars may still
differ greatly in front or rear legroom.
I guess you failed logical reasoning at school, and certainly never
made the debate club :-)

I certainly never did - although I have no trouble with logic.

I have much better things to do with my life than spend precious time that
I'l never get back defending an off-the-cuff remark to someone who obviously
lives to argue. shrug

Enjoy your life of conflict. My grasp of logic tells me I've wasted enough
time on this tangent.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]