Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 07:40:04 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

On 12/2/2016 12:40 AM, Trevor wrote:
So without very high isolation headphones you have no way of knowing
about minor clipping when recording then?

It's easy. You learn how your recorder's meters respond, and use them as
your guide to setting the record level. What I learned about my Zoom H2
was that if I had to turn the record level down below 100 (on a scale of
0-127) in order to keep the meters from hitting full scale, I was likely
to have clipping if I didn't attenuate the level going in.

I built an attenuator box to drop the level to the external line/mic
input jack. When using the built-in mics, the attenuation switch usually
takes care of it. If it's too loud to not clip at the low gain setting,
then I don't want to stand there holding the recorder.

Exactly the same with Sony's DAT Walkman. The advice from the guys at
Oade was to plug the mic into Line In if the record level had to be
turned down very far below max.

This should not be happening any more as it is so easy to generate a
decent rail voltage from batteries. Switch-mode power supplies really
are that good now.

---