Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Zoom H6

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 2/12/2016 1:31 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but the input stages have
very little headroom (which isn't surprising considering they're running on
very low voltage rails with battery power). So it is possible to set the gains
low and clip the hell out of the inputs without the meters coming anywhere
near full scale.

Set on line input, a normal +4 input will severely clip, and a -10 consumer
input is likely to clip. Adding an external pad will fix it.

Don't just watch the meters, listen to the output too. Your ears will tell
you when everything is okay.

So without very high isolation headphones you have no way of knowing
about minor clipping when recording then?

Well, the alternative is to learn about your gain structure in advance. With
the DA P-20, I learned never to have the master gain control below 4 with a
microphone input...