Posted to rec.audio.tech
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Vintage speaker repair advice wanted...

Somewhere on teh intarwebs David L. Martel wrote:
Shaun,

It might help to describe the surrounds.

Ok.

Angled or flat? - Flat

Surround OD? - 30cm

Surround ID? - 23.5cm

Cone OD? - 25cm

The 'roll' is inverted. These are the bolted-together square ceramic magnet
type with a cast alloy frame. They're back-mounted with a thick green felt
'gasket' around the edge. Beautiful drivers actually, hand-assembled and you
can see the various builders initials (along with "7/69") written on the
back of the cone.

They look so good - so well-made and purposeful, that it'd be great to see
them - in an open baffle perhaps (although I doubt they'd be suited - and I
have the rest of the drivers in perfect condition...)

I could put some pics up somewhere if you want and know of a hosting site
that's not a PITA to register?

Have you e--mailed Wharfedale?

Yes, ages ago and I didn't get a reply. Although that said I only had their
main sales addy but was hoping that perhaps they'd give me the right one.
Instead it seems the email was simply ignored - put in the 'too hard - not
enough reward' bin.

I have the email addy for APM's restorer (I fixed up a pair of their
speakers a few years back) and I asked his advice (mainly as he's employed
in England as a restorer of older drivers) but he couldn't help.

Dave M.

Thanks for the reply Dave. I haven't checked here in a while as there didn't
appear to be much interest in my initial post so the project's on the
back-burner until either i find out more or get desperate enough to atempt
/something/.

I'm fairly sure that, if I want to restore these drivers to their former
glory (and I do) I'll have to make surrounds. (I'm on the poverty line, an
invalid on an [ever-decreasing] government benefit in New Zealand.)
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
[Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]