Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default audio term that's parallel to "vivid" for video

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 08:44:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm working with clients who have no familiarity with our jargon. I said "dynamics" once and they asked me what I was talking about. So yeah, we're trying to communicate regarding the quality of the audio WITHOUT using terms like "dynamics", "frequency range", "noise floor", etc. Figured somebody on here would have been in the same situation before. Maybe there is no great word for it specific to audio.

I'm not talking about jargon, I'm talking about the actual words that
describe the actual phenomena. Jargon is the attempt to obfuscate by
misusing words - typified by vacuous pursuits like fashion and wine.
Wine has a smell - the wine buff will call it the nose. That is jargon
- a desperate attempt to sound "in".

If you want to describe audio, use the right words for the right
things. This will simultaneously educate your customer to the point
where he is able to understand and appreciate the facts, not the
********.

If the customer doesn't understand a word like dynamics, explain it.
It isn't that hard to understand. There is no point a customer
pretending he understands when he doesn't.