Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default Here's a weird one...

On 7/24/2017 1:25 AM, Michael Beacom wrote:
So, I'm mixing harmonizing lead & backup vocals. And only one phrase
sounds distorted. So I listened to each track individualy, they sound
clean. And I muted each voice, and they are clean. I lowered the backup
vocal to make it less noticable. Is there a better fix?

BTW, what is going on? (I have an idea, and wonder if it will match your
explanations.)

Cheers
Mike Beacom

I would bet on the mix buss being overdriven at the point where you hear
the distortion. It could be frequency related; for example, the summed
voices can sound "clean" individually and look like there's ample
headroom when mixed, but clip at that one spot in the recording.
Whatever... it should be easy to find and fix.

--
best regards,

Neil