Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

On 10/15/2018 12:17 PM, Chuck wrote:
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 07:54:47 +1300, geoff
wrote:

On 16/10/2018 2:48 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Paul wrote:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NGiz_quRoJu2nQ

See the center ring? That's supposed to be connected
to the center pin. In my case, it's an open, and unlike
this picture, the trace disappears into the plastic moulding.

The ring itself is clean, and has good continuity, but there is an
open EMBEDDED INSIDE THE PLASTIC. I could try to break the plastic
apart, but then the whole thing will be toast!

This is typical construction; there is a rivet used to make the connection
betwen the phenolic board and the pin. What happens is that the rivet
contact corrodes and becomes open. Guess what you can do in order to clean
that up?

Just because the contact is embedded in the plastic doesn't mean it can't be
cleaned up.
--scott

I've had luck (luck that it 'took') simply flowing solder from the rivet
to the metalised track.

Should conside that as short-term relief only, and may or may not work
with some makes of pot.

geoff

Sometimes conductive paint works to repair this issue.

Either solder or conductive paint will not work in this
case. Again, my case is different than the photo I posted,
as the trace and the center pin connection is embedded within
the plastic housing of the pot.

I could conceivably break open the casing, but then
the pot would be destroyed!

So brand new post are on the way from Mouser.