Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

On 10/13/2018 2:29 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Paul wrote:
Ok, it turns out the wiper fingers are not at fault: The
center pin trace is not connected to the center trace!

There is continuity to both outer pins 1 and 3, but the
center pin 2 is an open, which is somewhere embedded within
the plastic housing!

Yes, because the moving contact point is gunked up. Flush the whole thing
with cramolin and it will likely be fine. Spray it in, work it back and
forth, spray some more, work it back and forth.

Dammit! I'm SOL!

No, you aren't. You should just follow the advice I gave in my first message
and flush the thing out with cramolin. Or Callube or FaderLube, or, as I said,
whatever the currently fashionable Quietrole replacement is.
--scott

No, you are misunderstand the situation.

With the wiper and shaft taken off, there are two traces on the
pot: one trace for the variable resistance, and one trace for the
center pin. The trace for the center pin is NOT connected to pin 2.

There is an open there, and it's somewhere embedded inside
the plastic moulding. There's nothing I can do with it, without
destroying it.

I have ordered a few of the 2K Bourns pots, with the intention
of taking apart one of them, and seeing if I can replace the too-short
new shaft, with the older, but longer shaft.

It might work. If it doesn't, I'll just cut a slot in the shaft,
and use a screwdriver to adjust it, as has been suggested.

Stay tuned.