Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Bourns Pot Shafts Not Long Enough!

In article , Paul wrote:
What to do? Maybe I could cut off the tip of the
original shaft, and just epoxy it onto the new one?

Epoxy won't work. Silver solder will for carbon pots, but it's hard not
to damage conductive plastic ones. (I mean hard jeweler's solder, not the
2% kind for Tek scopes).

Back in 1975, you could get replacement pots onesie-twosie from the
shops that catered to TV repair stores, and they came with outrageously
long shafts that you were expected to cut down to size. Those days are
long gone.

Mod-Pot is likely the only solution for longer shafts in onesie-twosies
but you can try doing a search for length on digi-key.

Today just about every pot is a custom item, making replacement a pain.
Which is why I recommend it only as a last resort when cramolin and
rebuilding won't help.