John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Byrns View Post
In article ,
Patrick Turner wrote:

On Jul 6, 10:07*am, John Byrns wrote:

*What do you gain by adding the cathode follower to the
circuit? *What is wrong with simply choosing the diode load to reflect the
desired load to the secondary of the IFT, 100k or whatever? *

Better sound. Try it sometime. Then you'll know.

OK, I'm sensing a challenge here, similar to Danger Dave's assertions that
resulted in the ³Power Amplifier Without Power Transformer². The problem is
that with respect to Danger Dave's assertions, SNR was an easy to measure
parameter. Unfortunately your claims for the benefits of using a cathode
follower to buffer the IFT from the detector diode, is ³Better sound², a sort of
vague standard.

Before I take up my soldering iron to demonstrate that an AM detector the equal
of yours can be built without the cathode follower between the IFT and detector
diode, I will need to know how to measure ³Better sound². Can you suggest some
valid objective measurements I can use to measure ³Better sound²?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Now John, there are dreamers & there are doers. Which are you?

Pls pick up that soldering iron & show us what you can do.

Cheers to all, John L Stewart who still remembers which end is the handle!
Attached Images