Rich Grise

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:20:57 +1100, Phil Allison wrote:

"Robert Baer"

A long time ago i made an RF amplifier using an Esaki ("tunnel")
Diode.
It was rather puzzling, in that the gain was very low and could not be
improved.
Further analysis showed that the dern thing was oscillating like a
banshee at a substantially higher frequency.
Another thought: the "joke" that if you want an oscillator, build or
design an amplifier (and vice-versa).

** Looks to me like young Robert has just come up with another corollary
to the ever growing set of "Laws" popularly attributed to the famous USAF
Major Murphy that likely rates recording somewhere for posterity .

Or has he perhaps been beaten to it by another ??

Considering I first heard it in about 1963, I'd say so. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich