Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default Best digital music recording program

On 11/05/2019 9:59 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Trevor wrote:

Funny, my digital files from 30 years ago are still playable, and far
better quality than my tapes of that time. But hey, some people thought
the car would never replace the horse and cart too. Some people would
prefer we live in that world now. There will always be a place for
nostalgia enthusiasts I guess.

Checked them recently?

Sure I have found a couple over the years that have a glitch. Nothing as
bad as many of my tapes though. And since Hard drives are so cheap these
days, everything is copied to 2 or 3 hard drives as well.

I have boxes of CD-Rs that no longer play reliably.

But many can be recovered if you know how. Many people don't so simply
whinge instead. Remember they are not like programs, 1 bit of corrupted
data can lose you a computer program, but on audio can be fixed in a DAW
in a few seconds.

BTW, IME many CDr's and DVDr's were simply badly written by dodgy
burners in the first place. Those of us who took the trouble to check
the burn quality our burners were producing with each batch of disks
have less trouble than those who never bothered until they found their
barely acceptable disks became unacceptable.

Interestingly enough, DAT seems to have survived very well. Everybody is
paranoid about DAT failures but they actually have held up better than
such a horrible format has any right to.

Unlike the machines you will need to play them on. Good luck with that
in a couple of decades if you haven't moved them on already.