Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

"Dave" wrote ...
, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

1) SNR is not "an accepted measurement of fidelity"
2) There is no specific "accepted measurement of fidelity"
"Fidelity" is a combination of many things. Some subjective.
3) It would be difficult-to-impossible to actually meausre SNR
on a commercial CD because of the way they are mastered.
(i.e. there is no "baseline" because it is usually muted)

Have there been no bright PhD students sponsored by the music
industry, or are they too busy with their revenue stream? The noise
is what is not the notes. For a symphony you have an idea of what the
notes should be, because you have the sheet music, and you know what a
violin, flute etc should sound like. You may be able to measure
something more because that is what the brain does.

That is just impossibly simplistic. There is a great deal of stuff
"between the notes" besides noise. Have you done much
recording yourself?

I have my suspicious that some may have been stored an MP3s and then
"unripped" in the factory. So how can I tell for certain if my CD has
been an MP3, or other lossy format? I'd hope mp3 storage would leave
different markers than the original tape, for example.

Did you buy these CDs from the back of Guido's white van?
Do you know they are legitimate and not pirated copies?
Seems very unlikely that commercial CDs would have ever been
processed through any such gross lossy step as MP3 compression.

Business takes the route of maximum profit.

If you dont' want to reveal any clues that would help answer
your question, its up to you.

To get a good measure I'd expect some Fourier transforms and signal
analysis to be done, so this should be relevant to sci.physics.

It has been discussed here before that there are relatively easy ways
of analyzing audio to detect lossy compression such as MP3. Many
people claim they can hear it easily.

The method I saw was looking for high frequency cut off. Is this was
you were thinking of?

No, there are supposed to be other "markers" of MP3-style compression.
But I didn't pay attention to what they were or how to find them because I'm
not particularly concerned. I use MP3 only as a last-step release format.