Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default CDDA stopped working

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote in message

CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a
very old and usually reliable install that's been
migrated to three successive MOBO's.) Various players
show the track time counting down from the correct value
but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully
(using CDDA, I
think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash
the system when
I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the
standard CD drivers
and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue
what could be wrong?

The pointing finger points at the CDROM drive.

Yeah, except that it affects both my no-name reader and
my PlexWriter the same. Should've added that to my
original post.

Here's how I'd trouble-shoot it.

First I would test each drive independently by pulling plugs. Drives that
share the same PATA cable can break each other.

If that sheds no new light, I'd test the drives independently in another
machine.

If that sheds no new light, I'd swap in a different drive from someplace,
known to work of course.

After that, then we're looking critically at the software and the system
board.

I'd bring in a hard drive with a fresh copy of the OS. If that fixes things,
then the problem might be spyware or a virus.

After that, the only thing left is the system board and the power supply.

I also should have added that the wave out path works
fine playing MP3's so it's not an audio problem per se.

What happened is that the drive still works as a data drive, but as you
started out saying, it forgot how to do CDDA. That could be a hardware or a
software problem.