Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default CDDA stopped working

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote:

A clear case of demon possession. The demons that previously took possession of your soul are now taking possession of your computer equipmet. What you need is an exorcist, not the advice of readers of this newsgroup.

That happens some times. On my old laptop, every now and then it
wouldn't burn a CD any faster than 4X - and in fact that's the only
speed that appeared in the drop-down menu in Nero. Burning at 4X worked
reliably so I couldn't attribute it to the drive simply being worn out
(I've probably burned fewer than 50 CDs over the life of the computer,
and don't play them other than to load data or install software). But
now and then, higher speeds would shop up in the menu, and when I tried
anything faster than 4X, it would fail.

Got a new computer. Solved the probolem. For a while, anyway.