Posted to uk.rec.audio, rec.audio.tubes, rec.audio.tech, rec.audio.pro
[email protected] emmaco@emmaco.com is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

Why is a properly implemented plasma speaker so much better?

The only mass they have is the media itself (air/helium mixture) would
be the simplest answer. We're currently working on a Hill Google
Group, which isn't ready for prime time yet. Nonetheless, check out
this frequency and phase response measurement:

http://hill-plasmatronics.googlegrou...qn3un8nKr9-w11

From 1000 Hz to 30 kHz, there is no other drive I've ever seen that
even comes close. This is from an actual unit in a living room using
a B&K calibrated mic. The impulse response (ETC) is as perfect as
I've ever seen.

The Plasmatronics system allows you to play tricks on people that are
remarkable. It sounds like the real thing- not a recording on a pair
of speakers- something the Quad stuff occasionally hints at but never
really holds on to you for dear life. The plasma music transcends
the technology; close your eyes and it triggers your brain into
thinking you're actually involved in an event. Very difficult to
describe without being mocked, and with the angry man lurking about
I'll leave it at that...

There are a number of rumors about the Hill system that are
ridiculous. Many are ozone related and perpetuated by those never
having owned or even heard a set. I do tend to wear sunglasses while
listening for the same reason welders do and you have to refill the
helium tanks every hundred hours or so...