Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Fascinating MS

"hank alrich" wrote in message
Luxey wrote:

?????????, 16. ??????? 2015. 09.07.06 UTC+1, Gary Eickmeier ??
???????/??:
You keep saying that - what's up with that?

Almost everyone told you to move the microphones, I also said so, in a
form of
which way to do so.

I have done a few experiments outdoors - will report later when it
isn't so
late.

What's the point of eperimenting outside? To her the setup without
reflections? Thaat may give you an idea, or a clue, but the point is, you
can not set and forget yor microphones based on some idea, you have to
listen and adapt as per given space and situation.

This is a critical point. Monitoring.

"Move the microphones" - I set up my microphones to record single point
stereo with the perspective that I want to hear on the recording. You don't
move them to a bad perspective for some sonic problem. I would think you
solve the problem. Of course if it were a recording session, you could move
the entire band to someplace that didn't have the problem, but Lux is
telling me to turn the mikes 60 degrees to the right and have the
perspective of a band in the left channel and nothing in the right. I don't
know if he is punking me or what.

Monitoring - yes, sure, you never shoot or record without monitoring the
sound, but I am recording in MS RAW, which is not real helpful for telling
how the stereo is going.

And there are some real surprising - even humorous - anomolies happening
with a pair of Fig 8 mikes after decoding to stereo that I will show and
tell about when I get time to post my results of testing outdoors.

Gary