Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default My PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL Review Posted

On 3/12/2012 11:48 AM, wrote:

Nice review Mike. I actually need a 4-in USB interface,
but I do NOT need preamps or even basic mixing
facilities. Does anyone make such a thing for a
reasonable price? If so, I can't find one.

I don't think I've ever seen one without mic preamps. They
pretty much have to build a mic preamp anyway in order to
offer a differential input, so why not advertise it as such?
You really aren't paying anything extra for the mic
preamps except maybe a couple of dollars for the combo
connectors.

You might want to take a look at the Focusrite 8i6 (there's
a review of it on my web page also). It's a little simpler,
2 mic inputs on the front panel that can also be real line
inputs or instrument DI inputs, and 2 real line inputs on
the back. 4 outputs on the back, though two, if I remember
are shared with the headphone outputs. If what you want is 4
line inputs, it's better in this regard than the PreSonus in
that all four 1/4" jacks can be real differential line
inputs, as opposed to two of them (Instrument inputs0 on the
44VSL that are for all intents and purposes for unbalanced
sources.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff