Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Midas M32 USB stick recording glitch

On 25/01/2018 1:02 PM, John Williamson wrote:
On 24/01/2018 20:30, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Moved to a new venue with a Midas M32R.
Recorded the show to USB stick.

WAV's have finite size limits, I am used to dealing with more than 1
sequential 4Gb WAV's recorded on my laptop, and stitching them
together in
post with no lost data.

The Midas M32R I used this weekend produced multiple 2Gb WAV's to USB
stick,
but lost data in the transitions.
Maybe half a second or so each transistion, dunno yet.

Clearly this is not fit for purpose, you can't get that data back.

What is the firmware version of your mixer. The version currently
available for download on the website is 3.08. It may be worth making
sure you have the latest version, or if you do, have a chat with the
maker's tech support.

Maybe I'm missing something, but neither the user manual or the service
manual mention being able to record direct to a USB stick? As I read
them, they assume that the mixer will be networked to a computer.

A 2 GB file size may be a relic of a FAT16 formatted output, and taking
half a second to finalise a file is a sign that the computer is too busy
to do what it's designed to do. It may be stored internally as FAT16,
and then written to a FAT32 or ExFAT USB stick.

4GB is the absolute limit for a WAV file, and for some reason it is 2GB
on some devices. The 4GB limit is due to the way some info is held in
the file header.

Sony developed a W64 (Wave64) format that got over that limitation.

There seems no suggestion anywhere in the M32 manual that there is a
'roll-over' function to accommodate recordings that need to be over
their 2GB limit.

A bit of an oversight IMO, as is the rather lame output spec of 16/48k !
considered adequate for most purposes I guess.

Alternative is to output to a laptop with software that can record to
W64 (or alternative format), or does have a seamless WAV roll-over
function. Dunno if a Zoom will do that (?)....

Good luck.

geoff