Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Electrostatics, anyone?

For a number of years, I kept Acoustat speakers along with a pair of AR11s.=
Then I heard a pair of AR9s, and the 11s went away, the Acoustats went to =
my brother who has them to this day.=20

We moved into a house with no room for the 9s, they were replaced by a pair=
of M5s. Then we moved into a house with a 27 x 17 x 10 library at about th=
e same time I heard a pair of Magnepans. That was 9 years ago this month.=
=20

Today, the main system is a pair of MG-IIIs with the ribbon tweeter and the=
external crossovers. I will never look back. If you like the soundstage fr=
om planar speakers, but do not like the rolled off top and bottom, look int=
o Maggies. No sub-woofer needed. No, they do not have the bass of an AR9, b=
ut they can shake the room. The highs, on the other hand, are unsurpassed. =
Still made in the USA. By the way, the Acoustats sound thin by comparison.=
=20

Fair Warning: They are power-pigs, even more so than my pair of AR3as.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20