Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

Default Value of KLH speakers?

"dizzy" wrote in message
Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote in message
news
Bill Graham wrote:

"dizzy" wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:

Also, the highest note on a piano is only around 8 Kilohertz, so
it's pretty much a waste of time to buy devices that operate much
above
that, either, but that's a whole different argument, and I probably
shouldn't open up that can of worms.....

You're right, you shouldn't. The are audible harmonics above 8 kHz,
no matter what the fundamental frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonics

Yes.....Barely audible, at least to me....I do notice that when I was
younger, I had little or no trouble being able to tell the difference
between real sounds, and sounds that came from some electronic
reproductive
device, but in recent years (I am 75)

Doesn't excuse the above silly statement you made:

And what silly statement was that?

Also, the highest note on a piano is only around 8 Kilohertz, so
it's pretty much a waste of time to buy devices that operate much
above
that

Well, how silly that is depends on your (or my) definition of, "much". But I
will concede that three times the fundamental is a reasonable starting
point.
4x the fundamental is definitely overkill, in my opinion, and there isn't
much music that goes more than about 4 KHz, (which is one octave below the
highest note on the piano)

In any case, it's a matter of opinion.....Just having the range without
considering what's in that range is another question altogether.....Perhaps
the music might sound better without all the harmonics above 4 or 5 times
the fundamental. It's kind of like wine tasting.....Just because you can
taste the difference between wine from two different vineyards doesn't mean
that the most expensive one is going to taste better. A reasonable person
might like a cheap wine better than a very expensive one. In a similar vein,
music without all the higher harmonics may not be necessarily worse.....Some
of those harmonics might ruin the sound to those who can actually hear them.
A purist will probably like the harmonics, but there are a lot of people who
like what I call "pseudo-stereo", or artificially manufactured stereo which
is unlike what you actually hear when you go to the concert and sit front
and center. They prefer, (and are willing to pay a premium for) the gimics,
or the sounds manufactured by sound mixers playing some kind of game at the
mixing boards.