Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

"don pearce PITA smug ****** "

"Richard Crowley Arse Licker "

If you are trying to use a balanced
mic, then the cable is unsuitable because it is unbalanced.

** Not true at all !!

There is NO reason not to use a (suitable) co-axial type cable with a
microphone - either low or high impedance.

Despite all the nonsense you WILL have read elsewhere, co-axial cables
have as good or better rejection of external hum and noise sources as do
balanced twin wire cables.

Try it out if you don't believe this.

Of course a proper microphone cable is SCREENED balanced twisted pair,

** Exactly what I was referring to above.

Mic cable IS a balanced twin wire cable.

A poorly screened coax cable such as TV coax has only a part of the first
of those

** It ain't necessarily poorly screened and it ain't necessarily what I just
posted about.

Do learn to read sometime - ****wit.

has only a part of the first of those ..

** Not true of co-axial cable in general.

Do learn to read sometime - ****wit.

so this claim is clearly nonsensical.

** Not at all -

your irrelevant & asinine claims are nonsensical

If it were true, professional microphone and mixer companies would not be
going to the trouble of designing balanced kit.

** More completely irrelevant nonsense.

" Despite all the nonsense you WILL have read elsewhere, co-axial cables
have as good or better rejection of external hum and noise sources as do
balanced twin wire cables. Try it out if you don't believe this. "

Obviously YOU need to do this too - ****wit.

Since you are so PIG ignorant of the basic physics of co-axial cable.

....... Phil