Posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.design
Chris S Chris S is offline

Default OK to use TV coax for microphone?

On Sun 04 May 2008 02:23:08, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Walt Davidson wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 11:05:41 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie
wrote:

TV coax is very brittle. The inner wire is copper-plated steel
and the outer shield is aluminum wire and aluminum foil. It
will quickly crack where it meets the connectors.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen TV coax as you
describe. Coax with copper-plated steel inner conductor is
mostly used as data cable (ethernet).

Then you've never seen the wire used by cable TV and Satellite TV
companies. Pure copper is too expensive these days, and too soft
for repeated flexing. If you want to pay over a dollar a foot for
copper core TV coax, go ahead. The last time I had to buy some it
was about eight times the price of the foil shield W/braid TV
coax, and useless for UHF. Use a magnet, and see for yourself.
The copper plating smears when cut with dykes, and makes the
coated steel appear to be solid copper.

If copper is soft then wouldn't that make it good for repeated
flexing in the sense that copper isn't so stiff that it wouldn't
split or crack?